Name: Pumpkin #3 Batch size: 5 gallons Expected OG: 1.067 (75% efficiency) Expected FG: 1.016 Expected IBU: 45 Mash: 90m @ 152°F 8.0 lbs Rahr 2-Row 3.5 lbs Weyermann Dark Munich 10L 8 oz Briess Victory 8 oz Muntons C60L 8 oz Briess C120L 8 oz Belgian aromatic 3 pie pumpkins (6.5 lbs before roasting) 1 oz Northdown 6.2%AA @ 60m 0.5 oz Northdown 5.5%AA @ 60m 1 oz Willamette 5.5%AA @ 15m 1 oz Willamette 5.5%AA @ 10m 1/2 tsp cinnamon @ 10m 1/4 tsp ginger @ 10m 1/8 tsp nutmeg @ 10m 1/8 tsp allspice @ 10m Whirlfloc @ 10m Yeast Nutrient @ 10m 1 oz Willamette 5.5%AA @ 5m 0.5 oz Northdown 5.5%AA @ 5m Whirlpool for 15 minutes 1 pack Wyeast 1272 American Ale II
We wanted a maltier flavor so we swapped out some of the 2-row for an equal amount of dark Munich and bumped up the aromatic malt a bit. We also wanted slightly more bitterness, so we added some hops at the 60 minute mark.
Wyeast 1272 is very active fermenter, blowing foam out the airlock both times we’ve used it even with Fermcap S. Unfortunately that also blows out some of the spice mixture, resulting in somewhat muted pumpkin spice flavors. We’ll probably use HDPE buckets next time instead of kegs to preserve the spices.
But this beer doesn’t quit. We brewed it in early December and blew the keg in early April, and it was just as good at the end.